Sunday, December 5, 2010

Backups, Livedrive, FTP and Robocopy

So backups are important….right?  Really important.

If you don’t have backups, then you could easily lose your data. Hard drives will fail…it is not a question of “if”, but “when”.

For myself…I have been using Livedrive for a few years now.  Other than the occasional glitch (nothing major), it has worked well. One feature that doesn’t work well for me is the “Briefcase” – this is supposed to be a Local Drive letter that shows up on your local machine (usually drive L: ) and lets you access your Livedrive through normal Windows means.

I have several problems with it….1) I think I have too many files to let this work effectively and 2) the date/time stamps and 3) the use of *.ld files

  1. This one is obvious – I have TB of data and they allow unlimited, so I am going to use it
  2. I was using their FTP service to upload the files and as a result all the files are uploaded, but have the wrong date/time stamp in comparison to the originals
  3. They only show the *.ld files and not the name of the real file

So…I figured I would use Robocopy (it comes standard with Windows 7 and Server 2008) to keep things in sync. Robocopy allows me to copy only the changed files over to the Livedrive, so it is fast and efficient …but like I said, the date/time stamps are wrong, so Robocopy wants to copy everything over!  Ugh. Plus, it sees the *.ld files as “Extra” on the destination side, so it wants to delete them.

I found a way to fix this and make it work the way it should.

I use their FTP service already, so I grabbed a copy of Webdrive. This program turns a FTP site into a drive letter, but it uses standard FTP commands, so no funny business. Secondly, if you check the reference for Robocopy, you can see some advanced features – specifically, /TimFix, /XO and /XN.

So…to get things in sync, assuming a mapped drive of S: for my server and a W: for my Webdrive, I ran:

robocopy S:\Photos W:\Photos /E /TimFix /XO /XN

This updates all the Timestamps on the destination without actually copying anything over.  /TimFix says: FIX Timestamp on all existing destination files, including skipped files.

Perfect! Now the two systems are in sync and I can use standard Robocopy commands to upload new/changed files to Livedrive:

robocopy S:\Photos W:\Photos /E

This will copy only changed or newer files (including subdirectories) over to my Livedrive.

Thus I have a copy locally and a off-site backup in case something happens.

Jim

5 comments:

Kevbo said...

I am having a heck of a time getting this working. I can't get it to timestamp it correctly. Do you mind if I ask you some questions about this? -KH

Kevbo said...

I don't know if I'll get e-mails if you respond to my first comment, trying responding to this one instead! Thanks... -KH

HannesH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Nickel said...

I actually don't use Livedrive anymore...too many problems.

I moved to using Crashplan - unlimited, but no ability to use FTP or WEBDAV.

Jim

Muhammad Akbar said...


So nice I am enjoying for that post as for u latest version of this Security tool Available
webdrive-enterprise-crack